The diversity of e-commerce systems options currently available in the market and doubts regarding technical issues related to this positioning still leave many people confused when setting up a virtual store.
This concern is valid, since it is the heart of the virtual store, and therefore essential for the success of any initiative in this segment.
Therefore, there is little care at this time, as choosing an e-commerce platform is actually a true marriage.
What is an e-commerce platform?
What is known as an e-commerce platform is basically the system on which we build an online store. Every e-commerce platform is composed of two main environments:
- Platform Front End – The Front End of an e-commerce platform is the part of the system where the virtual store is built in the way it is viewed by the public, the store window, departments, product detail page, shopping cart, and all other pages that make up an online store.
- Platform Back End – The e-commerce platform’s Back End is the system’s administrative environment, where we manage products, control store inventories, receive purchase orders, verify payments, and other administrative activities of an e-commerce operation. -commerce.
The concern regarding the choice of the e-commerce platform is more than justified since a wrong choice can compromise the entire project, both in the short and in the medium/long term.
An e-commerce platform shouldn’t just meet your immediate needs. It must be prepared to evolve with the business, be scalable, and also be prepared to incorporate technological changes as quickly as possible.
A lot of people imagine that to start, it doesn’t matter which e-commerce platform to adopt, because if the venture works, just find a system that meets the new demands and that’s it. Not quite.
There is no exchange of e-commerce platforms that is not traumatic, either from an operational point of view or in terms of store marketing.
This is such an important decision that in our e-commerce course, we dedicate an entire module to the discussion of this subject, in addition to providing several evaluation worksheets of the options available in the market.
This is a step in the process where the more information you have, the greater the chance of making the right decision.
How to guide the choice of an e-commerce platform
Ironically, choosing an e-commerce system is difficult due to the numerous options available on the market today, ranging from open source platforms, through rented platforms and reaching fully customized platforms.
In addition to technical issues, we also have some issues involving contracts for the use or acquisition of these platforms, depending on the solution that will be adopted in the project.
Unfortunately, some companies create contractual conditions that turn the entrepreneur into a true hostage of these documents, clauses and conditions, which sometimes end up even making business growth unfeasible.
It’s boring to say this, but it’s a reality in the market. That’s why you also need to know how to hire an e-commerce platform so you don’t fall into traps.
Among the factors that must be taken into account when choosing a system to set up your virtual store, the first to be considered is the provider of the technological solution.
There are some simple observations that help in this choice, such as:
- Give preference to e-commerce platform developers with tradition in the segment
- Survey the platform’s performance with the company’s current customers
- What is the support experience that current customers are having with the company
- Evaluate the performance of the offered platform hosting provider
- Is it possible to expand the platform and its features or does it have limitations?
- Evaluate the system update policy presented by the company
When you work with a solid company, with a history in the market, you avoid surprises that can be caused by the inexperience of the team. That’s why it’s important to gather information about the developer.
From a functionality point of view, it is important, among others, to evaluate the following points:
- Does the platform layout provide a good shopping experience for users?
- What features are available in the offered e-commerce system?
- Does the store offer structure and resources for the implementation of the SEO work?
- Is the platform fully integrated with Google Analytics and its various e-commerce-specific functions?
- Are there integration options with sponsored link programs such as Google Ads and Facebook Ads?
- Does the platform offer a variety of payment methods?
- What security-related features (SSL, anti-fraud systems) are available?
- What level of integration with social media does the system offer?
- What are the management reports offered by the system and what is their degree of customization?
- Is the system responsive and adaptable to display on different types of mobile devices?
These are just some of the points that should be analyzed when choosing an e-commerce platform and as technology evolves, new specifications have been incorporated.
Another important point is with regard to the digital marketing of your online store. It is essential that in addition to the items listed above, it is necessary for the platform is as integrated as possible with modern online marketing tools.
It is not just about knowing how to choose an e-commerce system in the present, but also about whether this platform will satisfy the needs that will arise in the future.